Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

PCP symptoms

I have a lung infection that recently changed from causing a dry cough to a productive one. One of my doctors wondered whether PCP might be a possibility - I just started antivirals following a finding of 480 T Cells plus 33,500 copies.

What are the symptoms of PCP. I'd thought it wasn't possible for me to get it with 480 T Cells. Is that right?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It's not impossible to get PCP with more than 200 CD4 cells, it's just unusual, and gets more unusual the higher your CD4 cell count is. PCP is usually associated with a dry cough, not a productive one. I think that your symptoms plus your CD$ cell count make it highly unlikely that you have PCP. Your doctor can examine you carefully and then get a chest Xray, oxygen saturation test, and other tests to find out what's going on. The odds are you have bronchitis, not PCP.

Active pneumocystis pneumonia
Atovaquone and PCP prophylaxis