Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

unexplained allergic reaction to .......?

I am currently suffering with swelling around my eyes, behind ears and groin area. It is very irritationg and I have been to the ER twice, they seemed annoyed at me, probably because they couldn't help me, they told me it was not serious, but if you saw how I look! I am worried about what could be causeing this, i ahve been on triple drug therapy for 10 mos approx (AZT, Hivid, and Viramune) aside from the initial gastric discomfort and regurgitating, I have tolerated well. Is this new symptom likely to be caused by the meds? The only other possibilities are Chinese food, water babies sunscreen, sun exposure (about one hour on a ptly sunny day), and a nature walk in the woods in Florida last week. My uneducated guess is that it cannot be anything but the meds or an opp infection, as the meds are the only thing that I have been exposed to constantly. Opp inf is unlikely to me as my viral load has been undet, and t-cells above 500. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Currier

from what you describe I would consider some type of allergic reaction. It might really help if you could see a dermatologist if your primary doctor cannot figure it out. These symptoms do not sound like an opportnistic infections and you are correct this would be very unusual given your T cells. i hope you are able to get some help with this soon.

-JC

weird looking spots
kidney transplant in hiv patients