Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

The wasting Process

A member of our family has been HIV positive for approximately 7 years, has lost about 27 pounds in the past three weeks. The doctor states that this is part of the wasting process, we would like to know if there is any way to tell how long this process takes. Is this actually the beginning of the end? This patient has also been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, it is unknown if this is medication induced Parkinsons or just Parkinsons. Thank You

Response from Dr. Currier

A 27 pound weight loss in 3 weeks would concern me that something else is going on- I would want to write this off as HIV-related without doing an evaluation. Your family member should have this weight loss evaluated to be sure he/she does not have an opportunistic infection of some type. You may not find anything but it should be evaluated.

What is it???
weird looking spots