Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Changes in bowels

Is there any OI that causes mucous in the stool? I was only recently diagnosed with AIDS. My CD4 was 141. I am on Combivir and Sustiva. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed mucous when I go to the bathroom. I don't have what I would say is diaharrea (sic) but I have been going much more frequently and sometimes only passing the mucousy stuff. (Sorry, I know that sounds gross but I don't know of any other way to describe it.) Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Yes, there are some infections of the gut that produce karge amounts of mucus. You should see your physician and get evaluated, so a specific diagnosis can be made and the correct antibiotic can be prescribed if it is indeed an infection.

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hiv
Severe neck and back pain