Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Ear fluid buildup in slow progressor

Pardon me if this is not your field of expertise.

I am a slow progressor infected since 1986, not on any antivirals, t-cells in the 600 and holding, viral load in the 20,000 and holding. I have developed fluid buildup in my ears and have had them drained twice. Have some allergies but nothing like this before. I'm generally healthy but with low testosterone.

My doctor says that HIV positive people sometimes develop this. I haven't seen anything about this in my searches on the internet. Is this a possible condition with HIV? Is there any treatment that you know of other than drain tubes?

This condition causes hearing loss for me.

Any information would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no clear connection between middle ear fluid and HIV per se. You may have allergies or sinus problems that predispose you to this. You don't mention whther you have tried decongestants on a regular basis. You might also want to consult an ENT specialist who is experienced in seeing people with HIV.

Pain in joints and lower back.
Worried And Wondering About