Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Misquito Bites and HIV Therapy

New medications have been the source of my husband leading a normal life,....until the weather changed! Now he feels that he will not be able to enjoy the spring and summer months due the over-abundance of misquito bites he has to endure. He complains they (the bites) are painful and they swell terribly. One bite is as big as a half dollar. He has used the topical sprays and ointaments to ward off these vampires but nothing works. I might also mention that he was never one to be eaten on till the change in Rx. Please help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thisis a new one to me(that HIV meds make you 'sweeter' to mosquitoes), but if your husband is being bitten so badly he should try insect repellant with higher quantities of DEET (over 20%) that you can find in camping and hunting stores. Also-- avoid being outside at dusk and dawn when they bite more frequently, orwaer long sleeves plus DEETon whatever skin is still exposed.

Malaria & AIDS
Headaches