Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Misquito Bites and HIV Therapy
Jan 10, 2000

New medications have been the source of my husband leading a normal life,....until the weather changed! Now he feels that he will not be able to enjoy the spring and summer months due the over-abundance of misquito bites he has to endure. He complains they (the bites) are painful and they swell terribly. One bite is as big as a half dollar. He has used the topical sprays and ointaments to ward off these vampires but nothing works. I might also mention that he was never one to be eaten on till the change in Rx. Please help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thisis a new one to me(that HIV meds make you 'sweeter' to mosquitoes), but if your husband is being bitten so badly he should try insect repellant with higher quantities of DEET (over 20%) that you can find in camping and hunting stores. Also-- avoid being outside at dusk and dawn when they bite more frequently, orwaer long sleeves plus DEETon whatever skin is still exposed.

Previous
Malaria & AIDS
Next
Headaches

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.