Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Is gout related to HIV??

Hi, I have been HIV+ for 14 years and have had AIDS for 6. I just was notified that I have gout on my left foot. I'm only 32 years old and I am a female. Could this be related to hiv/aids??? Will this keep coming back? I was born with only one kidney, can this have something to do with it? It is SEVERELY painful......Thank you for your time....

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no connection between gout and HIV. Gout is related to high levels of uric acid in the blood. If your one kidney is working normally, then it isn't related to that, either. Is there a family history of gout? It can be treated and you should seek care from an internist, family doctor or rheumatologist, so you can get medicine for it.

Undiagnosed secondary infection
Lung infection?