Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Joint pain on my foot and my wrist

Doc. thanks so much for answering our questions. During the past month my ankle and my wrist have been hurting. The pain in the wrist is very mild but my foot sometimes bothers me a lot. I have not lost any mobility but I am concerned. My VL is 200 and my CD640, I am not in any medication thus far. What could this be? I asked my doctor if this could be arthritis but she was not sure. Thanks for your answer.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It isn't very likely that your joint aches and pains are due to HIV. It could be due to arthritis (which just means an inflames joint). Arthritis can be caused by many things, including infections, degeneration, crystals that form in the joint fluid, etc -- usually the joint is swollen, tender, red, warm and difficult to move fully. Arthralgia is pain in the joint which can go along with arthritis but can also happen without arthritis and the joint looks normal it just hurts. If this persists, your doctor can do a thorough exam and some basic screening blood test or X-rays, as a strategy to figure it out.

Chicken Pox and HIV
Cysts and HIV