Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Chicken Pox and HIV

I've been positive for 13 years. I've taken no meds due to severe reactions, but have been very healthy and have had no opportunistic infections other than a chronic sinus infection.

Two weeks ago I was exposed to someone with Chicken Pox. I developed the pox a day ago. I'm free of all aches, pain and fever (but I itch like heck).

My question is what warning signs of serious complications or trouble should I look for? My Dr has prescribed 500 mg Famvir three times daily. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

An antiherpesvirus drug like famciclovir (Famvir) is standard treatment for chicken pox. Be aware that you may now be at risk for developing shingles in the future, which is nothing more than reactivated chicken pox.

Typhoid and HIV
Joint pain on my foot and my wrist