Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Perianal ulcers and fistulae
Apr 10, 2000

I thought I had hemorrhoids. My ID Dr. says I have perirectal ulcers and a fistula. The referral to GI generated an appointment for a flex sigmoidoscopy and possible biopsy next week. Herpes and syphilis have been ruled out. Is there a connection between AIDS and inflammatory bowel disease--maybe even Crohn's disease? I also have porphyria cutanea tarda. Is there a connection there as well? I was diagnosed 12/98 with CD4 of 12 and viral load of 187,000. Now am Cd4-340, viral load-ND. I am 54 years old, male. AIDS/drug side effects--diarrhea and fatigue.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Perianal ulcers and fistulae can occur in HIV-s as well, and are not necessarily part of inflammatory bowel disease (which itself is not associated with HIV). These problems can happen to people who practice anal intercourse, and can sometimes be caused by a specific organism, such as Herpes simplex virus. In other cases, no specific cause is found and the problem is treated with sitz baths (warm soapy water soaks), antibiotics, and occasionally surgery if the fistulae or fissures don't heal by themselves.

Previous
hiv poz male, treating hiv and ADD
Next
Typhoid and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.