Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral Hairy Leukoplakia
Aug 2, 1999

Dr. Currier - Thank You so Much for wonderful information on the various treatment options for oportunistic infections, we all are greatful for you and your work! I have been infected with the HIV virus that causes Aids since 1988 and have made tremendous rebounds with alternative therapy!! I have developed Oral Hairy Leukoplakia, but have had it for 4 years and am doing fine with Viral loads, CD4 counts etc... any recommendations on alternative therapy or conventionl treatment for this condition!! Thank You

Response from Dr. Currier

Thank you for your kind words. Generally if the oral hairy leukoplakia ( what a name! ) is not casuing you any problems I do not feel it needs to be treated. People have reported sucess treating this with acyclovir 800 mg by mouth 5 times a day for 2 to 3 weeks since it is thought to be caused by a virus (probably EBV). Famciclovir should also work. I am not aware of any alternative therapies for this but I suspect there may be some that people have used. I hope this helps. -JC

Previous
oral thrush?
Next
ITP-Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia purpura

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.