Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

oral Hairy Leukoplakia

Dr. Currier - Thank You so Much for wonderful information on the various treatment options for oportunistic infections, we all are greatful for you and your work! I have been infected with the HIV virus that causes Aids since 1988 and have made tremendous rebounds with alternative therapy!! I have developed Oral Hairy Leukoplakia, but have had it for 4 years and am doing fine with Viral loads, CD4 counts etc... any recommendations on alternative therapy or conventionl treatment for this condition!! Thank You

Response from Dr. Currier

Thank you for your kind words. Generally if the oral hairy leukoplakia ( what a name! ) is not casuing you any problems I do not feel it needs to be treated. People have reported sucess treating this with acyclovir 800 mg by mouth 5 times a day for 2 to 3 weeks since it is thought to be caused by a virus (probably EBV). Famciclovir should also work. I am not aware of any alternative therapies for this but I suspect there may be some that people have used. I hope this helps. -JC

oral thrush?
ITP-Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia purpura