Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

oral thrush?

After receiving a positive Hiv result6 months ago, I have noticed a bwhite plaque-like film on my tongue along with small white spots on my lip. Well come to find out, I had received a false-positive result but I do not know what to believe because I have had all of the classic signs of Hiv(weight loss, night sweats, lymph nodes swollen in neck, fatigue, and now thrush). I want to believe that I am ok but it does not explain the thrush. I was given Nystatin but that hasn't seem to have any effect on it. Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

First of all, it would be a good idea to be retested for HIV. In addition to the standard test, you can ask your doctor to test you for the presence of HIV in your blood (viral load test). If you are not HIV+, then congratulations! and please see a knowledgeable dentist or oral surgeon about your mouth-- an oral surgeon would be able to take a biopsy. There are a number of diseases that look like what you have described and the only way to know for sure is to get a culture or a biopsy.

Reccuring Pus From Tonsils Help!!!
oral Hairy Leukoplakia