Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral thrush?
Dec 14, 1999

After receiving a positive Hiv result6 months ago, I have noticed a bwhite plaque-like film on my tongue along with small white spots on my lip. Well come to find out, I had received a false-positive result but I do not know what to believe because I have had all of the classic signs of Hiv(weight loss, night sweats, lymph nodes swollen in neck, fatigue, and now thrush). I want to believe that I am ok but it does not explain the thrush. I was given Nystatin but that hasn't seem to have any effect on it. Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

First of all, it would be a good idea to be retested for HIV. In addition to the standard test, you can ask your doctor to test you for the presence of HIV in your blood (viral load test). If you are not HIV+, then congratulations! and please see a knowledgeable dentist or oral surgeon about your mouth-- an oral surgeon would be able to take a biopsy. There are a number of diseases that look like what you have described and the only way to know for sure is to get a culture or a biopsy.

Previous
Reccuring Pus From Tonsils Help!!!
Next
oral Hairy Leukoplakia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.