Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Ear ringing

Dear Dr. Feinberg,

Is tinnitus (constant ear ringing) and coated (white)tongue an OI or just a side effect of HIV>? I've been infected about 20 months and not on any meds yet. I have noticed this ringing in my ears at all times of day and night, and the overgrown tongue hairs. So are do you know if there is any research on these abnormalities?

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Tinnitus is not associated with HIV. Do you take a lot of aspirin for headaches, etc? Tinnitus can be a side effect of too much aspirin. If aspirin is not part of the picture, then see your doctor or an ear, nose & throat specialist.

Your description of your tongue at first sounded like thrush bit then at the end sounded more like oral hairy leukoplakia. Both of these problems are associated with HIV and are easy to treat. You should see a doctor to get a diagnosis-- email isn't a good substitute for an examination. Good luck!

FUSION INHIBITORS?
Transparent 'blisters' inside under lip (mouth)