Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

neuropathy...doctors in Houston w/ no answers; please help

Dr. Currier, Please give me your opinion. I have been positive since '84, t-cells 350, viral load, 43, taking 3tc, azt, crixivan for over 3 years. also, taking Bcomplex vitamins, l-carnitine. still getting numbness and coldness in the hands/wrists/feet. my doctors have started me on neurontin 100mg 3x/day. numbness still getting worse.

is there anything else i can do? i still work(and want to continue). i am getting desperate. help.

Response from Dr. Currier

My first question would be are you (they) sure your symptoms are due to neuropathy? You are not on the drugs that we usually associate with neuropathy, your T cells are high and you report numbness and coldness, but not pain or any burning symptoms. It is possible this is the correct diagnosis, but I would keep that issue in mind and maybe consider getting a second opinion from a Neurologist. Othe things to check for are thyroid disease, B 12 deficiency, and diabetes. A nerve conduction study may also help to confirm the diagnosis. If it is neuropathy ( which I am not able to know) neurontin has been used with some sucess- some physicinas are using higher doses to treat neuropathy ( example 300 mg three times a day)this is something you should discuss with your doctor. I hope you are able to get some relief.

-JC

Help for Neuropothy
FUSION INHIBITORS?