Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Aids and Chorea

Dr. Currier, My brother was admitted to the hospital displaying the signs and symptoms of "chorea". His doctor indicates that it is severe. Could you please tell me a little bit about this disease or where I can get information about it. What are the typical treatments prescribed? He is scheduled for an MRI in the next few days. Thanks for your time. Julie

Response from Dr. Currier

"Chorea" is a term used to describe a type of movement disorder- when people have frequent, irregular jerking movements of the limbs ( arms or legs) or trunk. It can be caused by a problem in certain areas of the brain- and an MRI is the best way to start evaluating this- Chorea is a symptom of several types of diseases- hence there is no one therapy- They need to evaluate what is causing this to determine what the best therapy would be. Good luck-

-JC

HIV & ALS
Neuropathy!!