Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV & ALS

My doctors claim that I am one of the very few patents in the USA diagnosed with HIV & ALS. I don't have a family history of ALS and although I know in most cases ALS is brought on sporadically, I can't help but question whether it's HIV related. I haven't tried HIV tx, but my doctors are suggesting that if my ALS is HIV related then HIV tx can be a remedy. My question is twofold. What meds are most likely to help, and if they work can the damage to my nerves be reversed? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Currier

I don't know alot about ALS- but I would agree with your doctors that you should seriously consider treatment for your HIV infection- you may have something to gain. You want a combination of antiretroviral agents that will suppress the HIV virus n your blood and boost your immune system- there are several excellent choices that you should discuss with your doctor. It has been remarkable to see some people with HIV related neurologic disease- like dementia- improve markedly when they go on therapy- I hope you have good response.

-JC

MY PML EXPERIENCE
Aids and Chorea