Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV & ALS
Mar 1, 1999

My doctors claim that I am one of the very few patents in the USA diagnosed with HIV & ALS. I don't have a family history of ALS and although I know in most cases ALS is brought on sporadically, I can't help but question whether it's HIV related. I haven't tried HIV tx, but my doctors are suggesting that if my ALS is HIV related then HIV tx can be a remedy. My question is twofold. What meds are most likely to help, and if they work can the damage to my nerves be reversed? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Currier

I don't know alot about ALS- but I would agree with your doctors that you should seriously consider treatment for your HIV infection- you may have something to gain. You want a combination of antiretroviral agents that will suppress the HIV virus n your blood and boost your immune system- there are several excellent choices that you should discuss with your doctor. It has been remarkable to see some people with HIV related neurologic disease- like dementia- improve markedly when they go on therapy- I hope you have good response.

-JC

Previous
MY PML EXPERIENCE
Next
Aids and Chorea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.