Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

signs of pml
Dec 16, 1999

HI i have a friend that is diagnosed with pml, his cd4 counts are below 50. So my question is that what should i expect from my friend in this condition? I have seen drastic changes in his personality and various mood swings.Is this common? and how do i help my friend with his/ her condition? my friend has been diagnosed with pml since thanksgiving in october so there has been a dramtic change.Please let me know as this is very frustrating for both and i feel very helpless. thanks T

Response from Dr. Feinberg

PMl can be a devastating disease, as it can affect many different areas of brain function, and the typical course before HAART was downhill. There have been a number of reports of patients with PML improving with the initiation of potent combination anti-HIV therapy ("HAART"). If your friend is not on optimal anti-HIV therapy, that is the first and most important step. In addition, cidofovir, an intravenous drug approved to treat CMV retinitis, has activity in the test tube against the virus that causes PML. There are a number of research sites around the country that are studying this drug for PML; if your friend doesn't have easy access to one of these AIDS Clinical Trials Units the drug can still be prescribed by your friend's doctor on the chance that it will help.

Previous
different terms for the same disease?
Next
pml & physical therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.