Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

different terms for the same disease?

Do the terms neuropathy, toxoplasmosis and PML descriptive words for the same disease? If they do not could you briefly explain the difference and the different treatments associated with each please.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

These are all different. Neuropathy isn't an infection-- it may be associated with HIV or caused by some of the HIV drugs (see answer to the previous question). Toxoplasmosis and PML are brain infections. Toxo is treated with a combination of antibiotics, such as pyramethamine & sulfa. There is no standard treatment for PML-- some patients get better with good antiHIV therapy, and there is an experimental drug called cidofovir that is being tested.

How do I know if my husband w/AIDS is developing Dementia, PML, or neurological infection?
signs of pml