Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

deteriorating skin

hi, i watched the movie "Gia" about the model in the 70's that contracted HIV. Just prior to her death, she began to bleed and they said that the skin on her back had deteriorated. When they lifted her, it just ripped apart. Is this true? Was it a very advanced form of the skin cancer? What causes it? Thank you

Response from Dr. Currier

I suspect what they were portraying is a severe form of bedsores that can occur if someone is bedridden without proper care. This is something tha is not specific to HIV, but can happen when people do not have th proper skin care when bedridden.I do not think it was likely to be a skin cancer- but I never saw the movie.

-JC

How do I get help for a friend in the Phlippines
NeuroAIDS