Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

deteriorating skin
Jan 11, 1999

hi, i watched the movie "Gia" about the model in the 70's that contracted HIV. Just prior to her death, she began to bleed and they said that the skin on her back had deteriorated. When they lifted her, it just ripped apart. Is this true? Was it a very advanced form of the skin cancer? What causes it? Thank you

Response from Dr. Currier

I suspect what they were portraying is a severe form of bedsores that can occur if someone is bedridden without proper care. This is something tha is not specific to HIV, but can happen when people do not have th proper skin care when bedridden.I do not think it was likely to be a skin cancer- but I never saw the movie.

-JC

Previous
How do I get help for a friend in the Phlippines
Next
NeuroAIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.