Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

alchoholic and hiv please help!

I am woried about my Ex-Boyfriend, my best friend. He drinks so much alchohol and I am wondering what is this going to do to him? He is on the Cocktail drugs but he drinks so much. I would like to know if this will keep the meds he takes from working or do some harm to him? Please inform me if this is a big thing to wory about and where can find info to inform him of any harm he is doing to himself!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Too much alcohol can damage the liver. This is the organ that breaks down protease inhibitors and some other HIV drugs, and makes important proteins that help blood clot. A damaged liver may not be able to do its normal jobs adequately. Most HIV treatment centers have access to substance abuse counselling and treatment programs. You should be able to get more information from them and also possibly from his caasemanager if he has one.

Can you tell me what this is?
Lone Symptom