Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

alchoholic and hiv please help!
Jan 10, 2000

I am woried about my Ex-Boyfriend, my best friend. He drinks so much alchohol and I am wondering what is this going to do to him? He is on the Cocktail drugs but he drinks so much. I would like to know if this will keep the meds he takes from working or do some harm to him? Please inform me if this is a big thing to wory about and where can find info to inform him of any harm he is doing to himself!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Too much alcohol can damage the liver. This is the organ that breaks down protease inhibitors and some other HIV drugs, and makes important proteins that help blood clot. A damaged liver may not be able to do its normal jobs adequately. Most HIV treatment centers have access to substance abuse counselling and treatment programs. You should be able to get more information from them and also possibly from his caasemanager if he has one.

Previous
Can you tell me what this is?
Next
Lone Symptom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.