Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

confusing lingo

ive been positive for 2 1/2 yrs; at first by viral load was over 2million w/t-cell at 42; been on viracept, bactrim, and compavir for the entire time (except stopped the bactrim for about a yr) had to change doctors(insurance); and this doctor wants me to partcipate more in my therapy; he wants me to look into "quad" therapies?..my current health status is very good, tc cell count over 200 and viral load undetectable for 18months...i don't understand all the drug lingo, i tried reading all the past articles and my head hurts...please help, i stopped going to school yrs ago

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You have had a lovely response to therapy and I don't see a reason to push the envelope by adding a 4th drug, unless your viral load is undetectable by the 400 copy test but detectable by the new test which has a limit of 50 copies. Studies have shown that people between 50 and 400 copies do not do as well in the long term as people who have less than 50 copies. If this is the case, you could either add a 4th drug (this is called "intensification") or you could switch to a different combination of 3 drugs.

What to expect
Combivir