Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confusing lingo
Dec 20, 1999

ive been positive for 2 1/2 yrs; at first by viral load was over 2million w/t-cell at 42; been on viracept, bactrim, and compavir for the entire time (except stopped the bactrim for about a yr) had to change doctors(insurance); and this doctor wants me to partcipate more in my therapy; he wants me to look into "quad" therapies?..my current health status is very good, tc cell count over 200 and viral load undetectable for 18months...i don't understand all the drug lingo, i tried reading all the past articles and my head hurts...please help, i stopped going to school yrs ago

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You have had a lovely response to therapy and I don't see a reason to push the envelope by adding a 4th drug, unless your viral load is undetectable by the 400 copy test but detectable by the new test which has a limit of 50 copies. Studies have shown that people between 50 and 400 copies do not do as well in the long term as people who have less than 50 copies. If this is the case, you could either add a 4th drug (this is called "intensification") or you could switch to a different combination of 3 drugs.

Previous
What to expect
Next
Combivir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.