Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

VL764,300 high risk for O.I.?

My Vl is 764,300 or CD4 is 214 what is mt risk of O.I. I was not on meds because of drug allergies and serious side effects but am now on---6-Fortovase--1-Norvir-2-Epivir at bedtime. I have been on this combo 1 week. I was on Videx also but it was DC'd. I have been back on meds a total of about one month.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Both your CD4 count and viral load put you at risk for an OI, and the risk will increase if your T cells decrease further. I am concerned about your current combination: while once a day 3TC (Epivir) is OK, the saquinavir/ritonavir (Fortovase/Norvir) dose seems too small for once a day dosing. Also, if you have been on 3TC in the past, it is very likely that you are resistant to it, since 3TC resistance can occur very quickly. Because you have had problems with HIV meds in the past and because you now have a marginal CD4 count with a very high viral load, you might want to maximize your chance of success by having a resistance test and changing your meds if the test indicates that would be beneficial for you.

Off the meds now and having problems
After Viracept/Viramune/Sustiva - now what?