Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

have tried almost all of the drugs in all of the classes
May 3, 2000

I have a few questions about what meds to try next. I have been on viracept, sustiva, agenerase, combivir, norvir, fortovase, ziagen, videx, azt (alone), epivir and zerit.......obviously not all at once but in some combination or another. Right now I am on the norvir/fortovase/ziagen/videx combo and it looks like I am failing this combo as well. What do I do now? I have tried almost all of the drugs in each of the different classes.... Is it true that if you fail one of the drugs in their respective class you will probably not respond to another in the same class? Should I go on a drug holiday until something else comes out? Thanks in advance for your help

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Whether other drugs in the same class will work or not depends on the kind of resistance your HIV may have developed. Ask your doctor to do a susceptibility (resistance) test, like a genotype, so that you have some actual information about what drugs you will or won't respond to. There is also a new PI available for free through an "expanded access" program called ABT-378 that is made by Abbott Laboratories. This drug plus what the resistance testing shows may work could offer you an alternative. I interpret recent data to mean that staying on your current combination -- even if you have a detectable viral load -- may be better than a drug holiday.

Previous
mycobacterium avium complex
Next
reaction to comb therapy - pancreatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.