Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mycobacterium avium complex
Mar 1, 1999

Dear Doctor,

I would like to know the answer to my question ; what is

the connection between HIV/AIDS and TB? An acquaintance

of mine had an acid- fast-bacilli sputum culture done and the results were mycobacterium avium complex. Negative

for TB. I did research from my books and my results turned out to be associated with HIV/AIDS. I did not ask my

acquainteance personal questions I did not want to think

that I was making any judgement on the lifestyle. I am

not against any one's sexual preference, and as I know

there is no I.V. drug use.

Thank-you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[email address]

P.S. I realize that it is up to his own personal physician

to explain the outcome of the tests and the findings, and point my acquaintance in to the proper treatment and care.

you may email me back!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

While Mycobacterium avium is considered an HIV related infection it can also infect people who do not have HIV- it can cause lung disease in people with underlying lung diseases and can also sometimes be a comtaminant- and not really cause any problems. One should not assume someone is HIV + by finding M avium in the sputum.

Previous
MAC
Next
have tried almost all of the drugs in all of the classes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.