Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Questions about MAC and PCP transmitting

Hi Dr. Currier,

I am HIV poz myself my t-cells are around 400 (lowest t-cells 160 (sept 97) but they were back to over 200 a few weeks later. VL is undetectable under 50ml/copies. I am currently on nelfinavir (twice a day) d4t/3tc and been on meds since Dec. 97. No opportunist infections to date.

My question is I have started to date a guy also HIV+, but he had PCP before 2 years ago and MAC at the same time. I still freaking out about the all HIV thing etc and haven't exorcise all my demons about it yet. This guy is great, he is also on meds, he takes (crixivan, d4t, 3tc also). (I have been on crixivan for a year myself but switch with nelfinavir earlier this year for fear of kidney stones problems).

But when we are together, i am just concerned about this might sounds stupid... if I still can catch MAC from him or PCP. I know all the way these two diseases are transmitted, but I guess I just want to hear it from a expert like you to be reassured. Thanks a lot for your comprehension and help.

(sorry for the phrasing, I am French)

Response from Dr. Feinberg

MAC is transmitted somehow from the environment (no one knows exactly how). PCP is also transmitted from the environment (soil, dust, etc) but there have been rare cases of PCP transmission among patients in the same hospital room. However, in that case, the person doing the transmitting had active PCP. I think you will be fine with ypour new partner, but continue to practice safe sex, since his HIV and yours are different, and you don't want to exchange viruses.

MAC in the spine
where get Mac blood test?