Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Reactive Lymp Node and Toxoplasmosis

I had reactive Lymp Nodes in my shoulder surgically removed this weekend. The Dr. believes (still awaiting pathology report) that a toxoplasmosis was the cause. I do not have cats, but my children have 2 bearded dragons, one of which died this past week from pneumonia. I have never touched them,however they are let out at times to walk freely on the carpet. In addition their feeces is dumped into the central trash receptacle which is my responsibility to dump. I still am fatiqued and I am a far road from "normal." Can you shed any light on this? Thank You!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know what a bearded dragon is, but if it's a reptile you can't get toxo from it-- however, you should handle the garbage with care (wear disposable gloves, wash your hands thoroughly) because reptiles carry other kinds of germs that are dangerous for people with weakened immune systems. People can get toxo from raw meat as well as from handling kitten feces. And there are a number of problems that can cause "reactive lymph nodes", including HIV itself.

Swollen lymph node in left arm
The Big MAC