Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Swollen lymph node in left arm

I have been HIV poz for 16 years that I know of. Have had no serious complications. Good t-cell count and low viral load. Now I have developed a swollen lymph node in my left arm pit. This has been going on for about 2 months. I take Aleve to relieve the pain, but if I do not take it, it returns. I have also within the last 2 weeks or so notice a discoloration in my semen. Very dark colored. This however is really beginning to worry me. Am currently not on any meds, but do take a regular dose of vitamins. Health seems to be fine with regular every day aches and pains. Work a lot and am tired a lot. What do you recommend? I am in Virginia Beach, Va. and am in need of a new doctor. Hopefully you will have a suggestion for take also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A painful lymph node may indicate a local infection. Less likely it could be a lymphoma. You might want to have the node aspirated (by a needle placed into the node) or biopsied. I don't know the name of an HIV physician in Virginia Beach, but there is plenty of HIV expertise at Medical College of Virginia. No doubt you could get an appropriate referral from MCV. Good luck.

Can you discuss Lymph gland Biopsy, in the case of HIV please
Reactive Lymp Node and Toxoplasmosis