Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Persistent Glands - why do down in cold?
Apr 17, 2000

Dr., I have a couple of glands in my neck that have been swollen and hard (about 1cm+) for a few years now. I have a couple of questions each relating to the other I guess. First why does HIV make them hard - what is it doing - just sitting there? Next when I spend a fair amount of time outdoors on a very cold day the gland goes down to a much much smaller size - why would this be if the HIV is still there as such?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know specifically why your neck lymph nodes get smaller in the cold-- it may be due to the fact that in general cold causes tissue to contract. HIV may not just be "sitting" there-- it may be multiplying. We have learned over the years that HIV+ people will have enlargement and then regression of lymph nodes, and these changes haven't appeared to be related to anything we can point a finger to-- it just happens.

Previous
Lumps in the armpit
Next
Can you discuss Lymph gland Biopsy, in the case of HIV please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.