Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Lymph Node Swelling

In my neck on the left side I have tremendous pain in the area of the lymph node. I've had this pain for 4 days. 12 days ago I was in a car accident and received "whip lash." I'm wondering if my swelling is a result of the neck strain trauma OR something else? I saw an internal M.D. and he gave me no concrete diagnosis.

Suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The pain may be related to the car accident that is causing soft tissue swelling and discomfort in the neck. If this is the case, it is unlikely to be your lymph nodes that are bothering you, but rather the muscles in your neck.

It is also possible that the car accident was a coincidence, and that you have a local infection in your lymph nodes. Node swelling also comes and goes throughout HIV disease, but is usually -- although not always -- painless.

If the pain & swelling persist, I suggest you go back to your doctor and press for a diagnosis.

Acute Hepatic Failure complicated with AIDS
Lumps in the armpit