Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Enlarged Liver and Abnormal Liver Functions

My liver functions have been abnormal for the last 6 months and my doctor tells me that I have an enlarged liver. He is sending me for an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder. I have tested negative for Hep. A and C. I have tested core positive for Hep B. My t-cells are 126 and my viral load is 5800. I am currently taking Hydroxurea, DDI and D4T (and Septra and Fluconizole). I have been on many different treatments. I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1986. Do you have any idea what could be causing my liver functions to be elevated? I do not consume any alcohol or use any drugs. Thanks for you help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are a lot of things that can cause this. Have you also been tested for hepatitis C with the RIBA assay? It can be more accurate than the standard hep C blood test. Are you hep B surface antigen positive? The ultrasound also sounds like a good idea for figuring this out.

Hepatitis
Hepatitis A