Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Kaposi Sarcoma

Dear doctor

what is Kaposi sarcoma ..and caused by what ..and is there a test to detect for it .During my seroconversion stage I had two black patches on my forehead and on one my arm..but then they disappear without any treatment ..but then after 3 months the sames black patches appeared exactely in the same places ..and then again disappear by itself ..can this be kaposi sarcoma ??and then after a month I had bleeding from rectom while I pass stool ..can this be a dissiminated kaposi sarcoma ..I am worried about the black patches and the bleeding ..doctor can this be kaposi sarcoma ..I want to test if I have it ..is there any blood test for it ..thanks doctor for your time to answer my quesion.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no blood test for Kaaposi sarcoma (KS). Experienced docotrs can often tell just by looking, but the only way to know for sure is to have a skin biopsy. KS does not usually come and go like that. It may be that you have some other kind of skin problem that needs attention. The bleeding from the rectum with passing stool is more likely hemorrhoids (swollen veins) than anything else, but once again, you should get it checked out.

Signs of Karposi sarcoma
kaposi and other skin problems