Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kaposi Sarcoma
Jan 7, 2000

Dear doctor

what is Kaposi sarcoma ..and caused by what ..and is there a test to detect for it .During my seroconversion stage I had two black patches on my forehead and on one my arm..but then they disappear without any treatment ..but then after 3 months the sames black patches appeared exactely in the same places ..and then again disappear by itself ..can this be kaposi sarcoma ??and then after a month I had bleeding from rectom while I pass stool ..can this be a dissiminated kaposi sarcoma ..I am worried about the black patches and the bleeding ..doctor can this be kaposi sarcoma ..I want to test if I have it ..is there any blood test for it ..thanks doctor for your time to answer my quesion.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no blood test for Kaaposi sarcoma (KS). Experienced docotrs can often tell just by looking, but the only way to know for sure is to have a skin biopsy. KS does not usually come and go like that. It may be that you have some other kind of skin problem that needs attention. The bleeding from the rectum with passing stool is more likely hemorrhoids (swollen veins) than anything else, but once again, you should get it checked out.

Previous
Signs of Karposi sarcoma
Next
kaposi and other skin problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.