Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

kaposi sarcoma and hemophilia

My brother, who is a hemophiliac, was diagnosed with HIV three years ago. Now in addition to this and hemophilia, he has recently developed kaposi sarcoma. My main concern is about the sores. If one begins to bleed, what will happen? are there any necessary precautions i should know about besides the usual "use gloves and don't come in contact with blood" rules? Also, what exactly is kaposi sarcoma and does it effect his already delicate circulatory system? I am very concerned and my brother's doctors give me sugar-coated answers.....I would really appreciate it if you could e-mail your expertise advice to me. If you can't, I more than understand. Thanks for your time, Dr. Currier

Sincerely,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Surface KS lesions don't bleed, and the usual precautions would be sufficient. KS is caused by abnormal growth of the cells that form the lining of blood vessels, and willnot affect his circulatory system. If the KS becomes extensive, is in a painful spot like the bottom of the foot, or involves internal organs, it can be treated by a number of different means.

KS lesions on the bladder
spread of lesions and KS (kissing,touching)