Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

kaposi sarcoma

I am aware that persons with AIDS usually die of pneumonia or Kaposi's sarcoma but I do not understand how. Could you explain biologically how this is occuring? What is happening to the immune system, helper T-cells etc. in relation to Kaposi sarcoma and pneumonia.

thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

AIDS patients do not usually die of KS these days, and there are many causes of pneumonia which is a common cause of death in HIV-s as well. All OIs tend to develop when your immune system has been severely damaged, which is most easily measured by your CD4 cell count. When this happens, your body is less able to fight off these opportunistic diseases (which is why they are called OIs, because they take advantage of your weakened immune system).

Panretin Treatment for chronic KS
Living Scared with Kaposi's Sarcoma