Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Symptoms of Kaposi's Sarcoma

My partner has decided to stop taking the 'cocktail' drugs due to the gastrointestinal side effects he could no longer tolerate. He has made the very difficult decision to treat opportunistic infections instead. His viral load is literally 'off the charts', it is so high. His C4 count is less than 10. He has encountered and successfully fought off many recurring cases of thrush and various skin rashes which lasted for months. However, just yesterday he discovered a small purplish patch on one of his legs. It is not raised in any noticeable way, and is no bigger than the head of a pencil eraser. It is the only one of its kind on his body. It is not 'hairy' and has a kind of 'c' or 'u' shape. When pressed, it produces no pain or discomfort. Can this be Kaposi's Sarcoma? If so, can you identify what is used to treat it, and what is its normal progression if untreated? Can you tell more about how to recognize KS or offer me a link or site on the internet to get more education about this so I can be as supportive to him as possible?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like it may be KS. These kind of skin lesions -- especially when there are a small number -- is more of a cosmetic problem than a health problem. They can be treated with injections of various medicines into the lesion or with radiation therapy.

To make a definite diagnosis he should see a dermatologist for a skin biopsy. Bartonella infections can look similar to KS.

Check out The Body's other areas and links for more specific information. Good luck!

Should I be tested?
Kaposi Sarcoma