Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I be tested?
Jan 15, 1999

Hello, I may have been exposed in feb 1996. I had tonsilitis a few moths later, and then deceloped a severe rash because we found out I was allergic to penicillin. I did not believe that I was at risk, so I continued to donate blood to the American Red Cross. I doanted in march 1997, and March 1997. I did not receive a letter from the Red Cross that said there was a problem with my blood. Then I donated again in August 1998. I received a letter from them that stated that I could not donate blood anymore because I tested positive for the first surface hepatitis test. I tested negative for the second surface, the core, and the ELISA. I had a hepatitis finished the hepatitis vaccinations a year prior to receiving this letter. The Red Cross stated that my health wasn't in danger. I have big, palpable lymph nodes, I have lost weight, WBC is 3.9 thousand, hemoglobin 12, platelets 44.9%....but is the a sign that I have an hiv infectin that is yet undetectable? Please help. I greatly appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

Response from Dr. Currier

If you have had unprotected sex or a possible exposure to HIV then you should have an HIV test- Many things cause increased lymph nodes and low White blood counts- if you are worried about HIV, get the test. Good Luck

-JC

Previous
Aseptic meningitis??
Next
Symptoms of Kaposi's Sarcoma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.