Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Should I be tested?

Hello, I may have been exposed in feb 1996. I had tonsilitis a few moths later, and then deceloped a severe rash because we found out I was allergic to penicillin. I did not believe that I was at risk, so I continued to donate blood to the American Red Cross. I doanted in march 1997, and March 1997. I did not receive a letter from the Red Cross that said there was a problem with my blood. Then I donated again in August 1998. I received a letter from them that stated that I could not donate blood anymore because I tested positive for the first surface hepatitis test. I tested negative for the second surface, the core, and the ELISA. I had a hepatitis finished the hepatitis vaccinations a year prior to receiving this letter. The Red Cross stated that my health wasn't in danger. I have big, palpable lymph nodes, I have lost weight, WBC is 3.9 thousand, hemoglobin 12, platelets 44.9%....but is the a sign that I have an hiv infectin that is yet undetectable? Please help. I greatly appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me.

Response from Dr. Currier

If you have had unprotected sex or a possible exposure to HIV then you should have an HIV test- Many things cause increased lymph nodes and low White blood counts- if you are worried about HIV, get the test. Good Luck

-JC

Aseptic meningitis??
Symptoms of Kaposi's Sarcoma