Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Zoster?
Mar 1, 1999

Hi- Im 21 yr old male. Couple of encpounters of non protected oral sex(ended B4 ejaculation) within the past 18 months. I am unsure of HIV status. The past few weeks Ive been experiencing a slight burning sensation just behind and sometimes on my left shoulder. It comes for a bit and goes away for a bit. ITs not an awful pain, but its annoying. Is the pain from herpes zoster constant or does it come and go. It seems to coincide wiht heartburn. I get heartburn I get thee burn on my shoulder. There is no blistering or redness in the area, just a couple of pimples. Is it possible this is zoster. Can zoster present itself less than 2 yrs after infection if I was indeed infected? Thanks for reading

Response from Dr. Currier

While it is true that herpes zoster starts as a burning or tingling and is localized- by now it should have developed into multiple blister- like lesions. It is also important to know that people who are not HIV infected can also get zoster. If you are concerned about a possible HIv exposure- then get an HIV test.

-JC

Previous
Just a thank you.
Next
KS during seroconversion?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.