Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Re: Is it REALLY an allergy?

Thank you so much for your reply on July 7 concerning "reactions" to antibiotics. I did get a rash with Levaquin as well. My biggest concern now is what do I do for serious bacterial infections? Is the occurence of the rash enough to contraindicate the use of antibiotics? How should I interpret this? Please advise.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is almost always an alternative antibiotic choice for people with a history of serious reactions to specific drugs. In some cases where the patient has a true allergic reaction there are "desensitization" procedures that can be used. If the problem is a side effect to an antibiotic that is clearly the best (or only) choice in a specific situation, then supportive therapy to deal with the side effects can be used. Don't worry about it.

CMV
slow healing wounds