Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CMV and HIV
Dec 24, 1999

Hello

First of all I must say that I don´t know if I´m HIV+ but I think I am as I´ve had unsafe sex about 2 1/2 years ago.

I wonder about CMV.

About 9 months ago i developed a blurred vision on my left eye and now I have developed "floaters" in the same eye and they have been there at least for 7 months. Lately it has gotten worse and it´s also spreading to my other eye. I´ve had my retina examined and photographed but my doctor couldn´t find anything that looked like an infection.

I know that CMV starts in the periphery of the retina but according to my doctor he couldn´t find anything.

What do you think Doctor? Can it be CMV without a visible infection on the retina?

Is there any other HIV-related infection that causes floaters?

Pls Answer

Worried

Response from Dr. Feinberg

First of all, stop torturing yourself and get an HIV test. CMV is a risk for HIV+s if they have had prior exposure to it (a positive blood test for "CMV IgG") and if they have low T cells, most often fewer than 50. There are other eye conditions that cause "floaters", which are bits of debris in the center of the eye. They are more common as you get older (you didn't state your age). Lastly, not all eye doctors have the same knowledge base about CMV disease, so if ti turns out that you are indeed HIV+ and have low T cells, than make sure you see an eye doctor who is familiar and comfortable with the complications of HIV/AIDS.

Previous
HIV- ARS since SHINGLES attack 4 years ago
Next
CMV and EBV -- First Exposure,long story but Small questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.