Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long till infections begin?
Dec 28, 1999

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I am a heterosexual 22 year old male that has been with three women, all long term girlfriends at the time we had sex. I was tested for HIV twice, the last being in Dec. 97. That result was negative and I wasn't surprised because my girlfriend was a virgin at the time, and we had been having unprotected sex for over six months. I have not been tested for HIV since because of my fear of getting a positive test. I have since found a new girlfriend who was also a virgin. I am not worried about her at all. It has been about two years since I would have last been exposed to the virus. This past summer I began noticing some spots on my tongue that are outlined in white, but do not have the classic texture that describes thrush. The ouline does rub off witAlso, I was taking an antibiotic at the time to prevent an infection from a leg injury. Does this sound like thrush?

My second question is that over the last two weeks I think I have developed gingivitis. My back molars are very sore and they bleed very easily when brushing. It is also spreading forward to my other teeth. There is a line above the teeth that is painful and bleeds too. Again, what do you think?

I have not had any other problems. I am not fatigued and do not get colds or the flu at all. If you could, just send me an e-mail telling me what you think. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The only certain way to know whether you are HIV+ or not is to get tested--there's no substitute. You may have had thrush in conjunction with antibiotic use-- if you still have these spots you should see a knowledgeable dentist. And if you're worried-- regardless of the sexula history of your partners-- get tested.

Previous
Can u get AIDS by kissing(lips 2 lips)
Next
HIV- ARS since SHINGLES attack 4 years ago

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.