Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV-1 and HIV-2 and then..?

Hello Dr Feinberg

I have been tested negative for HIV-1 and HIV-2.

I´ve heard that the virus changes all the time and that there are about 25 strains of the HIV-virus. Is there any possibilities that I have HIV that they cannot detect by checking for HIV-1 and HIV-2?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are indeed many variants of HIV, but the kinds that would fail to result in a positive HIV test are very rare in the US, but are common indeveloping countries. If you have lived in, travelled to or had sex with someone from a developing country, you should notify your doctor so that a special kind of HIV test can be done. If none of these situations pertain to you, then relax but practice safe sex: you're not HIV+.

how soon do they come?
Can u get AIDS by kissing(lips 2 lips)