Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lichen Plaques and Candid but HIV Negative
Jan 27, 2000

Dear Doctor:

My doctor says I have Oral Lichen Plaques. He has also gave Candid Mouth Paint but the plaques and candid do not go away, it has been many months. I had contact with HIV+ person one year ago. The symptoms as mentioned followed. But I am HIV Negative (according to ELISA Blood Test at 11 months, Western Blot Test at 5 Months, ELISA and Spot 1&2Test at 7 months. I am taking chloroquin (250mg) for the plaques for two weeks now. Please tell me if I am out of danger of having HIV or not, or do I need to make what tests in the future? Is it a good idea to marry now?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You have been thoroughly tested for HIV and if you have not had any other potential exposure in the past year, you can relax. HIV-s can develop lichen planus plaques which have to be distinguished from Candida plaques, and which can be difficult to treat.

Whether you should marry now depends on whether you've found the right person!

Previous
HIV test 9 months after the exposure!
Next
skin infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.