Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CMV only or something else ?
Jan 28, 2000

Hi .

I have a few question . I will be very thankful if you answer .What does the result of testing means , made after two years from possible exposure .CMV IgG - 183.5 , CMV IgM - 0.195 . Is that mean that I'm infected with cytomegalovirus , or not . If it's positive , could I catch that through unprotected intercourse ? I've had one with women who is probably infected with HIV . After that I had many symptoms like pain of lymph nodes , joints , stomach ,

sore throat ,itching . I made many tests on HIV after 3,5,6,

8,18 months . All negatives . Now I'm taking aciclovir .

Symptoms gone almost completely . Is it possible that in one unprotected intercourse I saved my self from HIV and I caught CMV ? What is the best treatment for CMV ? And can I lead normal live being infected with CMV. Have sex , children ? Please tell me something .

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your blood test just show that you've been infected with CMV at some time in the past. It's a common infection, and usually causes no problems in people with normal immune systems. Old, inactive CMV infection in the past doesn't require treatment. You can indeed live a normal life and have children.

Previous
worried.
Next
yellow spots on eyes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.