Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Soft Skin Syndrome
Feb 10, 2000

Hello Dr

The reference on the Hopkins site was apparently a practical joke by Dr. Gallant on one of the worried well. He later posted a follow up after the poor guy sent another message about expecting + result on his tests.

However I think the original question from this guy came after an HIV+ patient referred to having very soft skin with

"textured surfaces easily imprinting on my skin, and lasting for an unusual time" in the context of describing his/her problems.

The thing is I am experiencing the same problem. Very soft skin, any textured surface(from clothes,rough surface,etc..) imprints easily and last for minutes (e.g.if

I put my hand in my pocket for seconds and take it out after 20 seconds, the pocket line will imprint and last for

a minute. (Never happened before). Have you seen this before in positive people? Under what circumstances will it arise if there is such an HIV related condition? I am currently not taking medications.

Thank you for your support.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thanks for cluing me in to the joke-- I got a message from Joel Gallant doing the same. I'm glad I was honest about not knowing what it was, or I'd be pretty embarrassed now by having made something up....

That said, I have not seen anything like what you're describing as being associated with HIV in particular. Pressure from objects "imprinting" on the skin often is a sign that there's too much water in the skin, which makes it soft (mushy) and indentable (if I can invent such a word). The medical word for this is "edema". It has many possible causes, and can be sorted out by a physician that examines you and does appropriate blood and urine tests as a start.

Previous
Doctor ,please help me
Next
Type N HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.