The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Asking for advice
Feb 10, 2000

Back in March/April I was dating a girl whom I've known for a long time. We had unprotected sex three times and a month later I started noticing ulcers on my tongue. I went to the Dr. and he said it looked like a virus. I washed my tongue with hydrogen peroxide, extensive brushing, and mouth wash when I started to notice that my tongue turned white in the back and I also lost about 10 pounds and couldn't eat. I cannot eat anything with sugar.

Visited another doctor a couple times and he said it was nothing, then thrush, then nothing. I started noticing a rash developing on both sides of my buttocks and my lymph nodes swelled to a little larger than pea pod size. They have been swelled for about 3-4 months now.

The girl that I dated was tested 3 times, 3 month, 6 month, and year, all negative. I have been tested 3 month, 6 month, and all were negative.

My questions are,

1. Is there another alternative I should take or should I take the test for what it's results were?

2. Can Hiv hide in other parts of the body where it cannot be detected in blood, if so then what other alternative should I pursue?

Thanks for your time...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You and your girlfriend have had enough negative HIV tests for them to be believable at this point. There is no other way of testing for HIV that is more reliable than the blood test. Relax, and don't forget that condom next time.

White Blood cells ok, HIV?
Doctor ,please help me

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint