Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

13 years- need testing?

Doctor---About 13 years ago, I had an affair (one night deal). 2 to 3 days later, I became very ill (mono type symptoms). A few years later, I heard where many people who are HIV+ will have these symptoms a short while after exposure. Naturally, I have been worrying myself sick ever since. Now assuming that the man I had affair with was HIV+, I would assume that his wife would be also and that if I were to become infected from him, that most likely I had infected my husband. Could you tell me, is it likely that 4 people could be HIV+ for 13 years and NOT know it? The man and his wife appear to be in good health. My husband and I are in good health. Recently, we both had CBC's done for surgery and they came back ok (husbands creatinine was a little high (1.6), his HGB was a little high (14.7) and his MCV was a little low (78) ---all other came back fine and the doctor did not seem concerned about these 3 that were a little high/low. After 13 years of HIV, wouldn't SOMETHING show up on CBC to give doctor a cause to suspect HIV? I guess to sum it all up...Everyone seems fine, but I can not get the illness that I came down with just a few days after our "one night stand" out of my mind. I have no reason to believe that the man I had the affair with is HIV+, and he seems fine...Sometimes I think maybe its just guilt that makes me worry about this. Could you tell me the likelihood of being pos+ as I get sick every time I think about getting tested. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think the odds are vanishingly small that you got HIV from this moment of indiscretion 13 years ago, but the only absolute way to know for certain is to have the blood test. If you live in a city there should be a free, anonymous test site available to you-- this may be harder to find in rural areas. Do yourself a favor and get tested, so you can stop agonizing about this.

Feel Guilty
possibility of infection