Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

reoccurring thrush in mouth only
Feb 17, 2000

I keep experiencing thrush in my mouth. I had a pap smear done, and everything turned out clear. I was prescribed Diflucan once, and it slowly went away. Now, 2 weeks later I have it again. I am a virgin, have been tested for HIV and came out negative. My boyfriend is negative too. I am still afraid because this won't go away. Could it be I am sick with HIV that has not been detected yet. I am not diabetic, and I only take Prozac as an antibiotic. Why is this oral yeast infection still appearing. I have been to the doctor, and they said sometimes stress can cause it. Well then why is it happening again? I am really scared it could be very serious!! :( Do you have any answers on why this fungal infection came. Can you get it from Oral sex? Will it ever go away? Am I HIV infected even though my tests are negative at this time? I would appreciate any advice on this scary subject? Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You could conceivably pick up thrush from oral sex. If you practice safe sex (including condom use with oral sex) and follow-up HIV tests at 2 and 6 months are negative for HIV, then you don't have HIV. There are other reasons to get yeast infections (thrush), including diabetes, antibiotic use and other immune problems besides HIV. It should go away with treatment, including management of any underlying condition. I imagine stress could contribute to this as well, although I'm not aware of any data that specifically address this situation. Check with your doctor again, and if you're not satisfied with the answers you get, ask to be referred to an immunologist or infectious disease doctor.

Previous
HIV Negative So Far....
Next
Feel Guilty

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.