Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Negative So Far....
Feb 17, 2000

Almost 20 weeks ago I had oral sex with a man. Two weeks later, he informed me he was HIV+ due to the results of a life insurance HIV test. Of course I was completely in shock and became extremely stressed out. At almost four weeks (26-27 days) I noticed a small spot on my chest. About a week after that, I noticed a spot on my head, one on my upper arm, one on my wrist. Over the next few months (while waiting for the three months to test) I developed a few more spots on my chest. I later found out this was seborrhea. Well, it turns out that psoriasis runs in my family and I had actually had a lot of it on my scalp and sideburns (which comes and goes, usually in reaction to cold weather)for a few years before this incidence. I concluded that these spots must be some form of psoriasis. I tested negative at 14.5 weeks and again at 17 weeks. I had tested negative in late 1998 and early 1994 (needlestick exposures at work). I did not become sexually active with men until early 1999 and had not been active for at least four years before that. I have read that a lot of HIV+ people get psoriasis/seborrhea. I have had no other symptoms during this 20 weeks. I had been stressed out before this occurrence due to my job, so in other words, I have been under a lot of stress the past six months. More stress than ever my whole life. Could this psoriasis be stress related? Everyone I have talked to thinks so and have also stated that I should have tested positive, or at least "reactive" on the Elisa test by this time. What is your opinion?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think you're lucky and probably did not get HIV from this encounter. Get retested at 6 months (24 weeks) to be 100% certain, and then: relax and practice only safe sex in the future.

Previous
HIV NIGHTMARE
Next
reoccurring thrush in mouth only

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.