Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV Negative So Far....

Almost 20 weeks ago I had oral sex with a man. Two weeks later, he informed me he was HIV+ due to the results of a life insurance HIV test. Of course I was completely in shock and became extremely stressed out. At almost four weeks (26-27 days) I noticed a small spot on my chest. About a week after that, I noticed a spot on my head, one on my upper arm, one on my wrist. Over the next few months (while waiting for the three months to test) I developed a few more spots on my chest. I later found out this was seborrhea. Well, it turns out that psoriasis runs in my family and I had actually had a lot of it on my scalp and sideburns (which comes and goes, usually in reaction to cold weather)for a few years before this incidence. I concluded that these spots must be some form of psoriasis. I tested negative at 14.5 weeks and again at 17 weeks. I had tested negative in late 1998 and early 1994 (needlestick exposures at work). I did not become sexually active with men until early 1999 and had not been active for at least four years before that. I have read that a lot of HIV+ people get psoriasis/seborrhea. I have had no other symptoms during this 20 weeks. I had been stressed out before this occurrence due to my job, so in other words, I have been under a lot of stress the past six months. More stress than ever my whole life. Could this psoriasis be stress related? Everyone I have talked to thinks so and have also stated that I should have tested positive, or at least "reactive" on the Elisa test by this time. What is your opinion?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think you're lucky and probably did not get HIV from this encounter. Get retested at 6 months (24 weeks) to be 100% certain, and then: relax and practice only safe sex in the future.

HIV NIGHTMARE
reoccurring thrush in mouth only