Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rhinitis and mucus? HIV symptom
Mar 1, 2000

Hello. I had a possible exposure 4 months ago, and almost since that time I develop a sore throat, my tonsils got infected (but not know because of antibiotics) but till today I have terrible mucus situation. I feel my throat and ears are full of mucus, my ears itch, I have a "mucus" voice everything is mucus. I don't know if that's what is called rhinitis or not. I tested negative a 3 months but ill retest at 6 months. Could this terrible sensation of mucus all around my body, coated tongue and rhinitis or sinus infection plus the fact of the tonsils got infected with pus could be early symptoms that I may have acquired HIV. This mucus situation is making me nervous. Please answer me.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If your HIV test was negative at 3 months, relax-- it's highly likely it will be negative at 6 months as well. Your symptoms don't sound like HIV, they sound like an upper respiratory infection. A decongestant (prescribed or over-the-counter) might be helpful.

Previous
RS and time length
Next
test period

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.