Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Anxiety?

Recently, I've been experiencing some slight joint pain, and I'm afraid it may be a sign of HIV. The behaviors I've partook in are low-risk, but I'm still scared. There is one point of confusion though: I've had 2 or 3 strep throat infections in the past year where I haven't finished medication, and I've just gotten over a head cold in the past week. I've heard that untreated strep can attack joints, as well as a cold. I've also been very anxious about my HIV status, and I hear that depression and anxiety can bring about such things as joint pain and fatigue. My question I guess is that can these other problems I've had be a reasonable explanation for my recent aches? I plan on getting tested, but I would like to assess what possible symptoms I have. Thanks a lot!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I will give you the same answer I've given dozens of others: if you're worried, get tested. The signs and symptoms of HIV are diverse and not very specific-- they can mimic many other illnesses.

short and brittle nail growth in three fingers
Blood count