Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV negative, but recurring toxoplasmosis

I keep having toxplasmosis come back several times. I have been tested and re-tested for HIV and I'm HIV negative. The doctors tell me they don't understand why it keeps reoccurring and I don't know what to do. I have several lesions on both eyes and one in the right side of the brain. I have recently also developed problem with circulation and small things like getting a cold have me in the hospital within a week due to complications. Today I was just released from ICU, because my airway swelled almost completely shut and they could not keep the air way open. The doctors said that for some reason my body wasn't reacting to the medication like it usually does, but they didn't know why. I am lost and don't know what else to do. I want to try to live a normal life. Please if you can give me some ideas of what I can do to help myself and my doctors come up with an answer. I don't smoke, drink, or use any kind of recreational drugs. I take vitamins and try to exercise, I use relaxation methods to keep stress down. Nothing has helped. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You may have a more subtle immune deficiency than HIV/AIDS. Have you seen an immunologist experienced in immune deficiency diseases? Recurrent toxo without HIV is unusual, and you should be checked further for other underlying problems.

ring in ears
Swollen Glands/Rash due to Hepatitis or HIV?